Preservation Maryland teamed up with the Queen Anne’s County Historical Society to celebrate “Preservation in Progress” at Providence on September 9th. The afternoon event featured supporters of both organizations and honored all those who have had a role in saving this important 1746 house. Providence is the oldest remaining positively dated building in Queen Anne’s County, and its grounds contain an unusual double outbuilding of the same period. Preservation Maryland joined with local preservationists in the 1970s to stabilize the building, facilitating the necessary annexation of some of its land to the town of Centreville so that the title could be transferred to the Queen Anne’s County Historical Society in 2010.
During its ownership, grants were leveraged, and structural improvements were made. Providence was then transferred to preservation-minded Robert and Stuart Wilson who are busy completing the restoration work, and, working with the Anne Arundel Archeological Society, to document the site. Among those providing financial support for saving the building were Preservation Maryland and the National Trust for Historic Preservation. Others cited for their efforts were William F. Grovermann, restoration consultant Michael Bourne, Elizabeth Beckley, Eastern Shore Field Director for Preservation Maryland and the town of Centreville. Click here to “like” our Facebook page and see more photos from the event.