For the past three years, part of the curriculum Steven Mallory has included for his University of Maryland preservation graduate students is a field trip led by Preservation Maryland’s Eastern Shore field director. In addition to his professorial duties, Steven is restoration manager at George Washington’s Mount Vernon. On April 20 the class came to learn about Providence Farm (circa 1746) in Centreville and the Miller’s House (circa 1750) in Wye Mills. Both are long abandoned 18th century properties that have earned their places on Preservation Maryland’s Endangered Maryland list and have been a focus of our preservation efforts on the shore.
Their first visit in 2010 took place at Providence Farm in Centreville. At that time the property, after 30 years of neglect, had just changed hands and been transferred to a preservation-minded buyer. The following year, the class came to see the Miller’s House, whose future was positive but not yet certain. This year, however, their visit was especially interesting because both properties have been saved and have promising futures.